Monday, November 17, 2008

Whoops!

I just read on another friend of mine's blog about her library goof, so I thought I would share one of mine. I have been helping out at another branch lately that is a man down right now. A lot of my time is spent at the circ desk because that's where it is the busiest of course. This also includes helping people on the computer. I had been working on something in the back and walked back out to the desk and a lady looks at me from her computer and points at her screen and asks, "How do I get this off the screen?" Now I'm used to computer illiteracy, so I just said "Click on the little red X in the top right hand corner." I thought that was pretty easy. Then a minute later she comes up to me at the desk and smiles and says, "So did it print?" I imagine you can guess the rest. As I said I'm used to computer illiteracy, but this took it to a whole new level. She was nice at least when I had to explain to her that she had to type it again because it was gone forever. It also taught me a valuable lesson in asking exactly what people need before I tell them how to exit.

5 comments:

Elisabeth said...

OMG! That's hilarious! (And, yes, I'm sorry the lady had to type it again. It's still hilarious!)

Mara said...

LOL...thanks for sharing the goof...I feel badly when you have to tell a patron that they need to retype his/her document. Right now I'm down a few computers in my department so I don't have any funny stories.

DJ said...

I think she could just as easily have asked, "How do I print this?" instead of "How do I get this off of the screen?"
I think your response was appropriate for the question. But that is a total bummer to have to type something over.

Michellem said...

YIKES - that's exactly why I stay home and mutter to the computer by myself without trying to help other people - now, how do I get this comment to show??

Unknown said...

Hi there,

This is Amelia, the webmaster of bikerkiss.com. How are you ? I would like to work with you setting up Dating Site for Biker Friends.

We can set it up for you at no cost if you have strong interest in this field or work-at-home business. You can pick the name for your own biker dating site, own the domain and brand. We take care of all the backend and engineering work. Also customer service work. Moreover, we will pay you $2 for each profile or $30 for each sale you drive to us.

If you are interested, please contact me at bikerwebmaster@gmail.com.

Regards,

Amelia
http://af.bikerkiss.com