Monday, February 9, 2009

Energy

I have heard through the grapevine that I don't post enough. Then I saw that it had been three weeks since I was on here and realized that they were right. So maybe I'll try to post more often no matter how trivial the material. I know I've talked about story time joys. I just can't emphasize enough the energy that comes from dealing with children. Every Monday I go to the school and read to three kindergarten classes. I have never left the school in a bad mood. I always try to pick a fun book. It's as much for me as them. Today I read Pirates Don't Change Diapers by Melinda Long. It's so much fun to do a pirate voice and watch their faces as they try to figure out which coins they need to make 27 cents. (I always ask them questions like that from the story. It legitimizes me being there.) I don't know though maybe it's just the ego trip. When you walk in the door and hear twenty kids go "It's Miss Selena!" or "Library Lady", I have to tell you it makes you feel like a rock star. I smile and say,"Hey guys! How are you doing today?", but in my mind I'm thinking "And the crowd goes wild!" Needless to say, I highly recommend volunteering at the school.

3 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Hmm.. wonder who is part of that grapevine?! I'm going to have to go read Pirates Don't Change Diapers now.

Mara said...

Arrrrgh! I almost lost my voice reading that book. Those books really "Arrrghhhh" fun to read!

Michellem said...

Maybe you can pass out cell phones for the kids to hold up in the air like at a concert - (they won't let you have lighters in school, right?)